Chantal Fernando is the sassy indie author behind the sexy New Adult romance series Resisting Love. The first book Chase had readers hungry for more. Kade, Ryder & James soon followed. Now, she's working on a hot new novel titled Spin My Love. Let's learn more about this cool young author and her tantalizing books...
Q: How long have you been writing and when did you decide to
indie publish? What was the biggest hurdle in going it alone?
A: I have been writing my whole life. I always loved English in
school and would write short stories. In high school I wrote a lot of poetry,
and after school I started to write a few novels but didn’t end up finishing
them. Chase is the first one I ever actually finished.
I decided to indie publish about a month before Chase was
published. There was a lot of hurdles I faced, and I wouldn’t have made it
without help from a lot of amazing people. I knew what I wanted to write, but I
had no idea about the ins and outs of the self-publishing world. I asked a lot
of questions.
Q: Starting with Chase, you wrote the Resisting Love series.
Can you explain the idea behind the books? Where did the inspiration come from?
A: I was inspired by my baby sister, who moved to the city
looking for a place to rent on short notice. She came home telling me how she
found a place to stay with two hot guys. I took that idea and turned it into my
own story.
Q: Do you plan to write more in the series? If so, how many
books do you envision in the series?
A: I will be working on a spin-off series, starting with Saxon.
I’m not sure how many I will write just yet :P
Q: You’re currently working on Spin My Love. Can you tell us
about the book? When do you hope to share it with fans?
A: Spin My Love is a contemporary romance about two childhood
friends. The idea came to me in a dream, and I can’t wait to share it with
everyone. I’m hoping to release in November this year.
***Add Spin My Love to your "to read" shelf on Goodreads.
Q: What drew you to contemporary romance as a genre? Do you
plan to branch out to other genres as your career progresses?
A: I love reading and writing contemporary romance. I have
written some paranormal romance in the past, which I may consider finishing and
publishing in the future, but right now I am happy writing this genre.
Q: How do you come up with the names for your characters?
A: Names off my baby name list that I never got to use, or just
random names that come to me.
Q: Chicken or the egg question. Do you create a character and
build around him/her? Or do you imagine a concept and create characters which
fit the idea?
A: Good question! I’ve actually done both in different books.
But usually I create the character and build around him or her.
Q: Do you use anything to inspire you while you’re writing?
Music, visual aids, etc? Also have you found ideas come to you more freely in
particular places or at certain times of the day?
A: Music definitely. I wake up in the middle of the night a lot
with new ideas. Also while I’m in the shower lol.
Q: When an idea hits you, do you start writing immediately or
plot it out first?
A: I jot notes down, even if it’s just on my phone.
Q: When you read less than fawning reviews, how do you know
when to use the critique to improve your future writing and when do you chalk
up the criticism as different strokes for different folks?
A: I try to take from reviews what I can. I’m always looking to
improve, to get better, and to work harder.
Q: I’ve read criticism from particular bloggers (Fangs for the Fantasy being one) about the lack of people of color and different sexual
orientations in fiction. Do you take this lack of diversity into consideration
when creating plots and characters?
A: My heroine in Chase is half Sri Lankan. I myself am Sri
Lankan, so I found it fun to add because I could add small pieces of my culture
in.
Q: Do word counts mean anything to you? Do you find your books
top out at around the same lengths?
A: I just write until it stops flowing. They usually end up
being around the same length.
Q: How big a deal is writer’s block for you and what do you do
to shake it off?
A: If I find that ideas aren’t coming to me, I take a break. I
concentrate on something else, I try not to get stressed. It’s worked for me so
far.
Q: What books did you enjoy most in 2012?
A: I love books by Kristen Ashley. Motorcycle Man was a fave of
mine.
Q: What are you plans for 2013 as an indie writer?
A: I’m going to write, write, write. I love it. I want to
finish the projects I’m working on and produce work that my readers will love.
I actually just hit publish on James book three in the
series. It’s an early surprise as its official release date was on the 31st!
***Add James to your "to-read" shelf at Goodreads.
Find Chantal's books at Amazon.
Follow Chantal on Twitter and Facebook.




No comments:
Post a Comment