Saturday, March 8, 2014

Interview with Romance Author Ember Casey

Ember Casey is a red hot indie author with a sexy completed series titled His Wicked Games. At the end of February '14, she published the tantalizing spinoff Her Wicked Heart. Let's learn more about Ember and her writing...

Angie: How long have you been writing and when did you decide to indie publish? What was the biggest hurdle in going it alone?
 
Ember: I’d been writing for several years before I published anything—you do NOT want to see those early novels I wrote! They were absolutely terrible. I needed to get a few “practice” books out of my system before I wrote anything worth showing other people. (Seriously. Those books were BAD.) But I’ve been part of an amazing writing group for years now and those ladies are constantly helping me improve as a writer.
 
When I did decide to self-publish, it was after several of my author friends had already taken the leap—so fortunately, I never felt like I was going it alone! I think a support system is really important no matter where you are in the publishing process, but it’s especially crucial in the self-publishing world. It’s the Wild West out there (the industry is changing so fast that it’s hard to keep up with everything!) and I wouldn’t be where I am today without all the support I’ve received—from critique partners, from friends, and from the reading and blogging communities!
 
Angie: In 2013, you published the His Wicked Games series. Can you explain the idea behind the series? Where did the inspiration come from?
 
Ember: So remember those bad books I was telling you about? Well, back in 2012, I was writing Young Adult—more specifically, I was working on a retelling of a Scottish version of the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale (I’m a sucker for fairy tales). The problem? I was going for a very sensual, vivid tone, but apparently it was coming off a little, uh, adult. At least according to my critique partners. Apparently I have a habit of accidentally weaving sexual undertones into everything (like, say, a description of the sky, of all things).
 
Eventually, I decided to do an exercise and work on an adult romance as a side project—and that “side project” eventually evolved into His Wicked Games.
 
Angie: Can you tell us about Lily and Calder?
 
Ember: Oh man, Lily and Calder are so fun to write. They’re both stubborn, and they both hate to lose—which makes their “games” really amusing for me. In Lily, I tried to create a girl who could hold her own against the dominating-billionaire type, and in Calder, my goal was to create a billionaire with a different kind of character arc (but no spoilers. ;) )
 
Angie: How many books were in the series?
 
Ember: Three—two full length novels and a novella. BUT I’m working on a spin-off series now (starring Calder’s sister, Lou) and you definitely haven’t seen the last of Lily and Calder.
 
Angie: In late February 2014, you published Her Wicked Heart. Will you tell us about Lou and Ward?
 
Ember: If Calder’s the damaged one in the Lily/Calder relationship, then Lou is the damaged one here. She and her brother definitely share some issues! Ward is a different sort of leading man than Calder (partially because it would be VERY creepy if Lou fell for someone with the exact same personality as her brother) but he’s very sexy in his own way. He’s very much your rugged, blue-collar type hero, very different from the more refined, controlled Calder.
 
Angie: When do you expect to publish the next book in the Her Wicked Heart series?
 
Ember: Right now, it’s looking like June, but I should be making an official announcement soon. In the meantime, though, I’m planning on releasing some bonus material (including a Lily and Calder story!) before then.
 
Angie: What drew you to romance as a genre? Do you plan to branch out to other genres as your career progresses?
 
Ember: As I said in my answer above, my first foray into the Romance genre began as a writing exercise, so I definitely see myself branching out into other genres someday (though probably under other names). Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Fantasy—I have lots of story ideas! For the time being, though, I’m focusing solely on Romance.
 
Angie: How do you come up with the names for your characters?
 
Ember: Female names are usually pretty easy for me—I can usually come up with them off the top of my head. But guy names? Those are a lot harder. I usually spend a lot of time looking through baby name websites and other sources before settling on something. I want something that sounds strong and sexy and “different”—without being too weird. It’s hard! (for me, at least.)
 
Angie: Chicken or the egg question. Do you create a character and build around him/her? Or do you imagine a concept and create characters which fit the idea?
 
Ember: A little of both. With His Wicked Games, I started with the whole ‘Beauty and the Beast’ concept and created the characters from there. With my other books, though, the characters have come first. Once you have well-formed characters, they create their own plots!
 
Angie: How do you avoid writing a Mary Sue or Marty Stu when most writers can’t help falling desperately in love with their creations?
 
Ember: I love flawed characters—they’re so much more interesting to write! They create all sorts of messes for themselves. For me, it comes down to motivations—you have to figure out what your character wants most in the world, then take it away from them (or at least threaten to take it away from them). Back them into a corner and see what they do. The meaner you are to your characters, the better. Make them desperate or scared or angry and then let them run wild.
 
I like to take either one of two approaches: either have my characters do the “right” thing for the “wrong” reason, or have them do the “wrong” thing for the “right” reason. The specifics come down to the individual character and his or her motivations. Both approaches make your character a little more complex, a little more human. But just as important, they allow your characters to remain sympathetic in the eyes of your readers.
 
Angie: Do you use anything to inspire you while you’re writing? Music, visual aids, etc? Also have you found ideas come to you more freely in particular places or at certain times of the day?
 
Ember: I listen to a LOT of Lana Del Rey while I write. It’s a bit of an obsession, really. I think it’s because I’m naturally a very upbeat person, and I need a little moody inspiration to get me in the right headspace to write dramatic or emotional scenes.
 
In general, I find I get a LOT more done if I’m not at home. There’s a coffee shop around the corner from me where I work several times a week (they have GIANT slices of cake there, which is perfect for my more stressful days… mmm, red velvet!). But I’ve also had some amazing marathon all-night writing sessions sitting on my bed. So it really depends.
 
Angie: When an idea hits you, do you start writing immediately or plot it out first?
 
Ember: I’m a pantser. I’ve tried outlining, but I just can’t work that way. I can’t tell whether something is going to work or not until I’ve written it out. Usually I just sit down and write—and by the time I’ve made it about ¾ of the way into the novel, just before the climax, I can tell what’s coming together and what isn’t. Then I go back to the beginning and work through it again, revising and rewriting as needed, and only on the second go do I actually write the climax and ending.
 
Angie: When you read less than fawning reviews, how do you know when to use the critique to improve your future writing and when do you chalk up the criticism as different strokes for different folks?
 
Ember: Actually, I’ve reached the point now where I try not to read any reviews. (It doesn’t always work that way, but I’m getting better.) Why? Because for me, I find that ALL reviews, bad or good, have a way of sticking in my head. I’d read a good review that would say something like, “I really loved x, y, and z! I really hope there’s more x, y, and z in the next book!” And then I’d go into a panic because there wasn’t even a little x, y, and z in my work-in-progress. It became an anxiety spiral for me.
 
Of course, I do keep an (only slightly obsessive) eye on my general ratings. If I see a rash of low ratings pop up, then I might skim a few to make sure they aren’t all complaining about the same thing (or making any other comments otherwise indicative of a larger problem). Otherwise, I try to focus mainly on the comments of my beta readers, critique partners, etc. (and even then, sometimes they offer conflicting opinions) to keep myself sane. Focusing on everyone’s opinion and trying to make everyone happy is, in my experience, a path to a major headache. And a book that’s scattered and unfocused.
 
In general, I’m of the mind that reviews are for other readers, not for the authors. They help other readers find books they’ll enjoy—and avoid those they probably won’t. Not everyone’s going to love my writing style or sense of humor or portrayal of a sexy billionaire, and that’s okay!
 
Angie: I’ve read criticism from particular bloggers (Fangs for the Fantasy being one) about the lack of people of color and different sexual orientations in fiction. Do you take this lack of diversity into consideration when creating plots and characters?
 
Ember: It’s something I definitely intend to take better consideration of in the future. I’m as guilty as many other authors for not featuring as much diversity as I could, and it’s definitely something I’m working on changing (I’ve been bouncing around an idea for a new series that would feature an interracial romance). My most recent book, Her Wicked Heart, initially had an entire subplot revolving around a gay supporting character, but it wasn’t working for me—essentially the character’s sexuality became a plot device, and in the end, I felt that was just as problematic (more so, even) then not having the character’s sexuality come up at all. That was one of the main reasons I ended up cutting that subplot.
 
But yes—romance could definitely use more diversity and it’s something I’m actively working on going forward.
 
Angie: Do word counts mean anything to you? Do you find your books top out at around the same lengths?
 
Ember: It’s a little scary how close in length all of my novels are (right at 70,000 words, every time!). Sometimes when I’m drafting, a book will be 10k more words than usual (or 15k fewer), but somehow, after that first major round of revisions is done, it always ends up at 70k again. Don’t ask me how.
 
Angie: How big a deal is writer’s block for you and what do you do to shake it off?
 
Ember: I try to be very structured about my writing, and that means sitting down to write whether I’m feeling it or not. Some days it’s torture getting the words out, but I push through (and funny enough, those are often the scenes that other people love best). Now that writing is my job, I try to treat it like one.
 
Angie: What books did you enjoy most in 2013?
 
Ember: Hmm, that’s a tough one! I would have to say the Sevenwaters books by Juliet Marillier (technically not published in 2013, but that’s when I read them so I’m counting it!). Those books contain some of the most beautiful love stories I’ve ever read. EVER. They tore up my soul and made me cry so many times.
 
Angie: What trends do you hope die in 2014? Are there any you hope take off?
 
Ember: Whenever I think I’m sick of a trend, some new amazing book comes along and changes my mind! As for trends I’d like to see more of… I’m a huge fan of light-hearted erotic romance. Stuff that’s less angsty and more funny (but just as sexy, of course!).
 
Angie: What are you plans for 2014 as an indie writer?
 
Ember: Write, write, write! I have five more books on the tentative schedule for the year (only one of those—Lost and Found—has been officially announced), but we’ll see how things go! ;)
 
*****
 
Find Ember's books at Amazon.
 
Follow Ember on Facebook, Twitter, and her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment