Sunday, March 3, 2013

Why I read negative reviews – Pt. 5: An asshole, a bitch, and a weenie walk into a bar

Anyone who has read my profile knows I’m amazing. Even saintly. For someone who is always right, it came as a shock to read reviews for books I either loved or hated and find out how my perfect view wasn’t universally shared. Sometimes, I loved a character and others didn’t. Or I hated someone and others found them to be perfection. It was an eye opening experience. Let’s explore lessons learned by beginning with a popular love interest these days.
 
Assholes
Darkfever (Fever, #1) Sure, we love when pirates rape and pillage. It’s why there are so many likes on the Somali Pirates' Facebook page. In our average non-pirate lives, we can’t stand assholes though. The guy who dumps work on you then takes credit for your efforts. The guy who stalks you and forces you get a restraining order. The guy who killed your neighbor because you weren’t home. These assholes are bad in real life. Yet, in fiction, they are sexy gold.
 
As an urban fantasy reader, the king of the assholes is Jericho Barrons. Rapist, murderer, feaster on the human flesh, misogynistic pig/hottest fucker in fiction. Let’s be honest, most new urban fantasy guys aren’t ripping off Adam, Curran, or Bones. They all want to be Barrons.
 
Eventually, I lost interest in Barrons (mainly when he turned whiny emo in books four and five), but I never lost interest because he was too big of an asshole. Imagine my shock when I read reviews for the very first book where Barrons wasn’t even a full on asshole yet. These reviews claimed he was too big of a jerk. Unlikable. Unsexy. Many of the reviewers were unwilling to read on because they couldn’t stand him. He was even dubbed Le Douche. Ah, I like nicknames too.
 
This is why negative reviews are helpful especially for books we love as writers. The different perspectives on the same characters we love can help us imagine how readers might view our creations. We see alpha while others see asshole. If you want to keep your guy on the alpha side of the line, reading negative reviews like these can help you avoid turning your hot guy into an unlovable loser. If you want to make your stud into an asshole, you'll know how far to push him into evil dick territory.
 
Bitch
A book I really hated is considered an example of great urban fantasy. I won’t name it, but I’ll name the characters and let you do the rest. For me, Clay clearly falls into asshole territory, yet in this case positive reviews helped me grasp why anyone would like the raping murdering misogynistic pig/unsexy loser. See, how perceptions are tricky? Well, for this section let’s talk about Clay’s victim/love.
 
I hate Elena. There are few fictional characters I would kill, but she’s on the list. For me, Elena falls squarely into fucked up bitch territory. Yet through reading reviews for this book, I saw how others felt her bitchiness was a good quality. It made her endearing. Yeah, I didn’t get it, but let’s jump to my fave UF chick.
 
In a negative review for the first Kate Daniels’ book, a reader wasn’t able to connect with Kate who she described as a cold bitch. It’s not about agreeing or disagreeing with a review. It’s all about seeing the same characters from differing perspectives.
 
Writing a tough female is similar to writing an alpha male. There is a fine line between tough and bitch. For one reader, the tough chick that hides her pain can easily veer into an unsavory bitch. For another reader, the same character can be the epitome of awesome. If you plan to write a tough woman as your main character, it wouldn’t hurt to check out the negative reviews for both those books with chicks you loved and those you hated. This could give you an idea of how various readers might view your characters one day.
 
Weenie
I like writing nice guys. Whether it’s from overdosing on alpha assholes or just wanting honorable men for my characters, I lean towards beta men as love interests. Other writers clearly like a man who dominates the MC. It’s preference and likely something we as writers don’t even notice. I doubt a writer thinks, “I want my LI to treat my MC like crap and break her down until she’s worthy of him.” I certainly don’t think, “I want to write a weak guy.” Yet, where I see worthy equal, others might see weenie.
 
One of my favorite male characters is Shadow from American Gods. I love Shadow’s passiveness. He’s the calm in the midst of the crazy around him. I found this quality endearing.
 
Reading negative reviews for the book, I was surprised by the number of readers complaining about Shadow's passiveness. Looking back, it makes sense for others to view him as a weenie. The line between honorable man and wuss is likely trickier than with bitch and asshole. The visceral reaction to an asshole or bitch makes them easier to spot. While readers rarely hate or love weenies, they'll likely find them forgettable. No writer aims for forgettable when writing their characters.
 
Though he's far from forgettable, I’ve even read complaints about Bones being too weak a love interest. For some readers, the more powerful the female, the more alpha the male needs to be. This isn’t something you as a writer need to agree with, but it’s something you should consider when writing your love interests. At the very least, it will prepare you for criticisms you could receive later about your books.

 
Negative reviews have power because they often point out problems other reviewers didn’t care enough about to mention. If you think a book is simply okay, you won’t rant about all of the characters’ flaws. If you love a book, you'll simply gush. If you hate the book enough to write an essay about it, you'll provide all kinds of interesting perspectives. This is why negative reviews are a treasure trove for writers. See how I started with pirates and ended with treasure. Talk about coming full circle!
 
Coming Soon...Why I Read Negative Reviews Pt.6 – Her pussy belonged to her HEA, yet his dong belonged to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment